Tuesday 2 July 2013

Extraordinary Prints from Ordinary Objects - I

I is for Iron!

Now we're up to the letter I in the Fabric Printed Alphabet.


www.colourvie.com




















Who doesn't have an old iron that has seen too much work,
has been in too many workshops, has been dropped on the floor
too many times and has now given up the ghost?

Don't throw it in the garbage - PRINT WITH IT!


First I painted the canvas with Colour Vie pigments.
While the pigments were still wet, I used my
 dear old toy iron to remove some of the pigments.
















 My printing blocks today: A defunct steam  iron,
 a couple of antique irons and a toy iron


















A well-ironed border print

















Table napkin printed with antique and toy irons.









Nope, the tea towel is not burnt - just printed!

















Another toy iron print. I played with the iron quite a bit as a kid.
Little did I knowhow much ironing I would actually be doing
in my career as a textile designer/printer!





6 comments:

  1. LOVE this - THANKS Gunnel for sharing!
    Off to add my old irons to my printing box & then schedule a printing session.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on! Looking forward to seeing the prints.

      Delete
  2. Love the "burned" iron print! Great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The inspiration is quite real:)

      Delete
  3. Awesome inspiration here.....I have a small collection of antiques irons..oh what fun I can have now! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Mary Helen! And when you're not printing with them, they make great book ends and door stoppers:)

    ReplyDelete